Monday 24 January 2011

'Don't laugh, I've seen it happen!'

At last, instruction manuals are developing a sense of humour.

On the weekend I blew up our steam iron. It gave up the ghost with a hiss and spat out gunk all over one of my favourite shirts. I am pretty domesticated but do tend to damage electrical equipment fairly regularly.

There was nothing for it but to buy a new one. We ordered it on-line and I picked it up from Comet earlier today. I read the instruction manual, always a good place to start, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was written engagingly in English.

Here's the fourth point on the list of important safeguards:

'4. Don't iron clothing while it's being worn - you'll burn or scald the wearer (this is not a joke - I've seen it happen).'

Now, that wouldn't be at all funny ...

Well, it's the first time I've seen a first person comment in an instruction guide. I was heartened. There are people who write these things, people with families, relationships and life-experiences - such as seeing someone ironing someone's shirt while they were wearing it.

Or have they made it up? Are they circulating an urban myth to prevent us doing the same?

Whatever the case, it's made me think twice about doing it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment